Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Bits and Pieces

Just bits of news from our home...

Simeon is doing extremely well at reading. I'm amazed at how quickly he has been catching on. We are almost halfway through the Hooked on Phonics Kindergarten program. I have had the pleasure of "catching" practising reading his books. What a joy to see my son enjoy something that brings me such pleasure, reading!

We are getting ready to celebrate Simeon's 5th birthday. Where has time gone? He is TOTALLY into Veggie Tales, and so that is the theme of his gifts and cake. We were talking about a party, but decided against it. We are going to go to York's Animal Kingdom on Sat. afternoon, and go on the rides. Now I'm not much of a ride person, but both Rich and Trisha enjoy them, and Simeon has been asking to go since last year.

No adoption news for now. Simply praying that God would prepare all involved and to grow our family in his timing. In the meantime, I have been busy doing some sewing. We've decided to do cloth diapering, and so I've made 20 newborn size prefold diapers. They are the cutest little things. I have the fleece and yarn to make a crocheted border blanket, I just haven't had the patience to sit down and start it.

My garden is doing well. It has been a cool start to this spring, and so the plants are growing slowly. My lettuce is doing fabulously, and we have enjoyed simply going onto the porch and picking lettuce leaves for salads and sandwiches. I'm hoping my delphiniums will get stronger. I saw some beautiful ones at the cemetary the other day, and I'm hoping that mine will grow as strong and beautiful as the ones I saw. Out of the 6 I started with, I have one left...grow beautiful flowers, grow!

My breadmaking has been fun. I tried sourdough oatmeal bread over the weekend, and it was a huge hit. I brought a loaf over to the inlaws when it was still warm out of the oven, and it was gone in no time. Nothing beats warm bread right out of the oven. Just one of those simple pleasures.

On the health front, I've managed to get a grip on my out of control eating. Focussing on more fruits and vegetables. Lean meats and trying to cut some of the refined carbs, and simply carbs over all. Not a no carb, nor even low carb...more like carb choice counting. It's been working and the scale has started its downward descent. As for exercise, I've realized I have to keep changing it up. So, I do some running, and I've started to do some jump rope. I alternate between 5 minutes of jump rope and 5 minutes of jogging. I'm telling you, its a workout like no other. Finally, I've been going to the beach with Rich and Simeon when Rich comes home from work. The tide has been cooperating. There is nothing like a nice brisk walk on the beach, with the sun shining, the breeze blowing and the sound of crashing waves soothing away the stresses and worries of the day. I LOVE THE BEACH...Now if only the weather would warm a little.

Overall, life is good and full. Enjoying being me!

1 comment:

Julie Donahue said...

Hey Jessie!

Thanks for stopping by! I have you in my Google Reader now so I won't lose you!

I've got an almost 5 year old too! WOW! Where does the time go!?!?