Pages

Monday, April 14, 2008

Healthy Family

Growing up, I was always overweight. I wasn't too active. I was intimidated in sports teams from the rec. department. There weren't many kids my age in my neighborhood and I went to a regional school, so no one was close by. In elementary school I played some sports, but not consistently. By the time I got to highschool, sports did not interest me at all. I was horrid in gym class and was always one of the last kids to be picked. Needless to say, being active was not fun. I remember in particular one night when my father had me go for a bike ride with him. He was worried that I was getting fat, and wanted to prove that I was out of shape. Well, I did really well on that bike ride, and proved that I could do it. I did enjoy swimming and took lessons for a while, but when money got tight, that was one of the first things to go.

Why am I mentionning all this. Well, yesterday as I was stacking wood and today as I was running, I was thinking that I want something different for my family. My parents paid lip service to being fit. My father had a physically difficult job, my mom excercised somewhat, but it was always behind closed doors or at the gym. We never really did anything as a family. We NEVER played catch, kicked the soccer ball around, bike rides. We rarely if ever did any of that. I want our kids to have an active life because they like it, because they enjoyed it with us. I want them to be healthy and active because they see the joy it brings us.

Honnestly, since being married to Rich, I have learned so much, I enjoy kicking the ball with Simeon, walking on the beach, playing catch, or batting the ball, I've since discovered running. I want to have fun with my kids doing these things. So, Simeon has become my running partner. I'm hoping that this fall, he will have built up enough endurance that we can run a 5k as a family. wouldn't that be amazing?

No comments: